Thursday 1 November 2012

Quick Drawings and Uncertain Models


         Since starting the degree course I feel I’ve learnt so much in terms of both drawing and modelling but I’m struggling with a few elements of the work. Firstly the multitude of different techniques and ways of doing things on 3Ds has often confused me and made me question the way I’ve been making things. I feel quite uncertain that I’m doing things right and, although the models end up looking pretty much as I want them to, I continue to think that there may be something wrong or problematic which I can’t see or don’t know about. I’m dreading getting to Year 2 and being told that I’ve been doing one thing the wrong way all along. Hopefully this is just a lack of confidence instead of the truth but only time will tell. The architectural project is quite exciting considering the decisions we’re allowed to make and the somewhat high tri-limit.



Final Renders of My Wheelie bin

When it comes to drawing I find it extremely difficult to make myself take time over things, I’m used to working quickly and this has led me to draw slightly impressionist-y - “as long as you can understand what it is then all’s well!” Now being on a course which takes pride in accuracy and skill I feel like I’m not working hard enough because I draw quickly or because I don’t spend that long rendering images. This is something that I really want to change, I’ve been trying to work everything out lightly and continue working methodically and purposefully so that the end result is successfully accurate. This will allow me to create accurate drawings and the more I create purposeful and accurate drawings the faster the drawings will be; at the end of the day its better to get it right from the start when I can spend the time on these things than get to the end of the 3 years and be told that my drawings aren’t accurate enough.

Final A3 drawing rendered in comparison to initial sketch above.
This took under 45 minutes and I don't think I could have spent any longer getting it more accurate or rendering it more effectively.


There's also the element of visual design which is slowly turning into an angry icicle, which doesn’t make spending time over drawing any easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment