Saturday, 31 January 2015

Behind the Door: Part 4

So this isn't finished as such but its to a point that I'm happy to leave it for a bit and focus on FMP. Some of the main crit that I have got is lighting and material definition so I think areas such as the flat struts of the triangle sections and the flat panels need to be improved upon. I also want to make some more geometry for it maybe some cuboards or a switch board or something science-y. I also want to end up making the arms for the end of the corridor still.

Polycount Thread

I was really happy, it runs really smoothly in the Rift even though most of the textures are still quite high resolution. Ben Keeling came to Uni yesterday to talk to us and give us crit and he has really helped with FMP and with this project.

I'm going to start doing some FMP updates on this blog as well but for the time being go and check out!

Sunday, 18 January 2015

Behind the Door: Part 3

Still working on this... the lighting! definately working on the lighting and feel maybe the walls need some more detail.

Thursday, 15 January 2015

Behind the Door: Part 2 Baking

Another post about baking! Hopefully this time from a less confused person. After implementing the critique that Ben Keeling had for me last time my bakes have improved. It took a lot of time experimentation and confusion to get here though. I found that smoothing groups work to a certain extent but don't quite cut it.

Smoothing errors!
After struggling with creating a low poly that wasn't crazy topolgy-wise I talked to Rich Carey who linked me to a script on Polycount that averagely weights the vertex normal. This almost entirely fixed my smoothing errors and bakes so I made sure I looked into how it worked and what was happening. The vertex normals from the smoothing groups and average weighted vertex normals are clearly different and this has a massive effect on the end result of the normals.

Forgot to upload the concepts

ISS Cupola Work In Progress

I've been modelling the International Space Station's observation pod in my free time here and there. Its for a friend's short film so I want it to be as accurate as possible and I'm loving Sub-D modelling so wanted to really focus on improving that. fingers crossed everything in the reference image will be modeled soon.

Just some base colours and base values for the spec and gloss